The learning of C++ was mostly one big frustration. Few beautiful and useful features - buried in clumsy, unintuitive and ugly mess. So after trying out and throwing away one feature after another, I mostly joined the C with classes crowd. This is the style used in Khayyam/Miletos/Elea code. But even for this minor subset of features, the language is just implemented plain wrong. Some completely elementary, clean and logical things are missing - and on the other hand - extremely clumsy, opaque and hard to use features are present.
So following is my list of things I'll one day implement in my own C Successor(TM) language.
- Keep classes and struct separate. Structs should be POD, classes should ALWYAS have pointer to RTI. So no virtual methods for struct - and who in his right mind will miss these?
- Keep memory layout standardized. Seriously. Probably all C++ variants implement things in one way - but the specification refuses to fix things once and for all.
- Classes are struct(ure)s. Like in Java. Standardized containers having function pointers for virtual methods, RTI information, link to parent class and so on.
- All object instances have hidden data field in first position, that is - you guess it - pointer to class struct(ure).
- All nonstatic methods should have pointer to class instance as hidden first parameter. So you can call class method from C. It is implemented this way anyways - but why force people to jump through loops to use it.
- Keep meta-language separate from core. Implement two-pass compiling or something (in addition to preprocessor).
- Operator overloading should be specified in some meta-language. This would allow really useful things, like implementing separate dot and cross operators for vectors and so on. It should be transparently translated into proper C code during metalanguage parsing pass and then compiled by normal C/C++ compiler.
- Templates should be specified in proper metalanguage instead of "yet another hack on top of C syntax" and translated into normal C code during compilation.
|Obligatory screenshot - Ichiro having break in a forest (needs better lighting actually)|
I am here to appreciate your creative work. You have a good talent in creating it. Great work. One of my friend recommended this blog site to me. I read lots of blogs about the writing services but honestly speaking I found your blog very interesting and informative. You are doing your best to get enough reader to your blog. Keep on blogging with new contents.ReplyDelete
Write my Essay
Hey people! If some of you really need some help with essay and homewrok! Dont be shy adn just check this out! Go for dnp capstone project it and you will see! Enjoy and have a nice day!ReplyDelete